Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Everything I Do...

So, the other day, I had a conversation with a father of a child with a chromosome 18 change. As are pretty much all my conversations with families, it was lovely.

Towards the end of our conversation, he mentioned that he and his family have been contacting major sports franchises, encouraging them to learn more about their child's condition and to support the Chromosome 18 Registry & Research Society. It really got me thinking. The parents and families that I have met have impressed me so much with the lengths that they are willing to go for their children.

I think most people know about the story of the Registry's founder, Jannine Cody. (And if not, you can read about it here.)

But, as we all know, parents and families complete unbelievable feats of strength every day that don't make it into Time magazine. The mere act of balancing dozens of appointments would require a full-time assistant for most people! Friends and families organize events and fund-raisers. Parents advocate tirelessly for better services for their children. They spend hours upon hours doing research online. They lobby their government to change laws to protect and help their children.

While I was thinking about families' dedication to their children, I couldn't stop a particular song from popping into my head. Forgive my nostalgia as I dredge up this hit from the '90s!



No comments:

Post a Comment